How Living With Black Mold Affects Your Health

Why You Should Choose Elements Disaster Recovery
May 2, 2019
How To Spot Water Damage
May 21, 2019

How Living With Black Mold Affects Your Health

We have all heard of black mold, and probably have seen it in our Orlando homes. But what exactly is black mold, and why is it worse than regular mold? Black mold, also known as Stachybotrys chartarum, is a type of fungus that produces toxic spores that can spread like wildfire and cause severe health problems. Along with being dark black, it can also be a greenish or grayish black and can be found in your home growing on a variety of surfaces.

Most common cases of black mold are found in areas that are warm, dark and damp, including showers and tubs, bathroom wallpaper, under sinks, toilets, refrigerators and crawlspaces. Common cases of household mold can be solved with over-the-counter products. But if left unchecked, black mold can quickly spread and require professional mold removal services. Black mold is a dangerous fungus and should be taken seriously. Oftentimes, Orlando residents are unaware that the chronic health problems they are experiencing may be caused by black mold.

Below we’ve listed the most common ways black mold can affect your health.

RESPIRATORY PROBLEMS

Black mold produces toxic, airborne spores that are too small to see with the naked eye, but if breathed in, can be a big problem for your respiratory system. Even with a healthy immune system, the toxic spores can cause symptoms such as nasal and chest congestion, sneezing, headaches, wheezing, skin irritation, coughing, watery eyes and labored breathing. For allergy sufferers and those with respiratory problems such as asthma, black mold can lead to sinusitis, nausea, vomiting and bleeding in the lungs and nose.

CHRONIC FATIGUE

Exposure to black mold can make you feel tired and lethargic all the time. This can be due to your immune system trying slow down the effects of toxic black mold. This can also sap your physical strength, requiring more energy to move your extremities. If you feel you are continually tired for no good reason, it’s a good idea to have a professional test your home for black mold.

MENTAL FATIGUE

Prolonged exposure to toxic black mold can even make you feel foggy, dizzy and confused. This is due to the trichothecene mycotoxins produced by black mold, which are toxic to your neural health. If you find that you’re having trouble focusing, remembering things and thinking clearly, it could be from breathing in toxic spores floating around your home. Some studies have even linked prolonged exposure to black mold to feelings of depression.

As you can tell from the symptoms above, black mold is very dangerous and should be immediately removed from your home. The first step to removing household mold is to find the source of the problem. A certified professional can help identify the source of the mold and safely and effectively remove it from your home.

At Elements Disaster Recovery, all of our mold removal specialists are trained and certified through the IICRC’s (Institute of Inspection, Cleaning & Restoration Certification). And we use only green, non-toxic products to safely remove black mold without the dangerous chemicals and odors. If you’re living with black mold, call Elements Disaster Recovery today to make your home cleaner and safer.